Friday, February 5, 2010

It's been awhile...

Edit 2/15/10: Laven is doing much much better with sleeping through the night and is waiting for the sun to come up before she wakes her mommy and daddy!...

As you can see it has been awhile since my last post... actually I only did the first post and then left it at that. Do I have an interesting life to write about?... at times, but at best I will be honest as possible and give you as much insight as I can. I'll try to stay close to the topic of fatherhood but tangents are always a part of life.

Let's start the day as it always does... in the early morning. When Laven feels it's important to wake her parents up to tell her mom, "I need to tell you something... I don't want to take a nap" all the while whimpering and waiting for you to wake up so she can start crying when you tell her to go back to sleep. Yes it's 3:30 a.m. And for all of you that wear corrective eye wear you understand that being woken up in such fashion is very hard to discern from nightmare or real life.

Why, oh, why does she torment us so...
We are trying to change the behavior but with slow and tiresome results. We have tried almost everything and are back to the 'Super Nanny' method of taking her back to bed repetitively until she goes back to sleep... usually only once or twice and all the while not responding to her cries with any verbal pacification. She's not as persistent as she was as an infant but having the bedroom directly under her makes for a loud fit.

We will see if she will ever let her parents sleep through a whole night, but does it really matter? Not really, I've learned to wake up periodically throughout the night and I have to remind myself the fact that she's only three. And what will always be consistent in our lives...is that everything changes... on a weekly basis. So if it's not waking up, it's something else... like being sick!


It's late now, so I will write about sickness later... after I get rid of this cough:)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like no matter how many parenting tricks you have up your sleve... children still figure out ways to drive their parents crazy. I like how you said "does it really matter" about sleeping through the night. The best attitude is to be positive and to just ride the wave of parenting instead of fighting against it. I can't wait to hear more about your parenting stories.

    ReplyDelete