Saturday, February 27, 2010

Becoming a Father - Gender Roles

Sometimes we fall into a routine and play a 'role'. We do this every time we are with just one person or with many. Think about when your with your friends as opposed to your partner. Or your parents or certain siblings, cousins, etc... It's not being 'different' or 'fake' but an appropriate and comfortable 'role' that you allow yourself to play.

Becoming a father was a huge new role. It brought on a whole new sense of control. I'm the dad now. Not the child. But still, at times, I felt out of control. I'm responsible for a family, a daughter? My wife is more than capable in supporting a small village, let alone me and Laven. But me on the other hand, I come from the male tribe. Not so much known for the caring and giving spirit.

So with that role of father, I try to challenge myself to be strong in faith and live up to the life that I want. I say embrace the role and use it to your advantage. Try to take a look at yourself from a different perspective and ask yourself, "How do I really want to act in this situation?". Be critical of yourself and try to do what's right. Some times we get into a rut and play a role that we don't want to. Whether it's the disciplinarian or the passive supporter we all get stuck. Change it up and make your moments memorable.

When I take my daughter to the park and we're all alone, I allow myself to be in the moment and be extravagant. I'm the King and you're the princess! Let's go slay the dragon... whatever she wants I'll be. I want her to have color in her life and get down on my knees to her level. Try to understand who she is and what makes her unique. How she sees the world. I want to know my daughter and respond to her in like.

But most importantly, don't forget the role of a husband and partner. Revisit the role everyday and make it remarkable. It's the foundation to your family...
I'll talk about this soon.

1 comment:

  1. Check out the www.fatherhoodinstitute.org. It is a collection of parenting materials for dads from the show supernanny.

    ReplyDelete